This past weekend was the 4th Annual Fall Food Cook-Off. Each year there is a special ingredient and the dish that best uses that ingredient wins the prize. This year the special ingredient was Sweet Potato and my Sweet Potato Slow Cooker Chili brought home the trophy. I was honored to win the award and wanted to share this easy fall recipe with all of you. I hope you enjoy it as much as they did!
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 2 15 ounce cans of pinto bean
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 2 12 ounce cans of tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup of chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- salt and pepper
- Cook the ground sirloin in a skillet over medium heat. Drain any remaining liquid from the pan. Add to slow cooker.
- Dice the sweet potato into 1″ pieces. Add to slow cooker.
- Rinse and drain the pinto and black beans. Add to slow cooker.
- Chop the onion. Add to slow cooker.
- Mince the garlic. Add to slow cooker.
- Add all the remaining ingredients into the slow cooker and mix.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours (or until sweet potatoes are cooked). Stir occasionally.
Tip: To thicken the chili you can take the lid off at the end for about 30 minutes.November 25, 2014
This entry was posted in - Thanksgiving, Food and Drink. Bookmark the permalink.
← Fall Dish: Sweet Potato Pomegranate Salad Lemonade Bar →